- Introduced countless children and adults to swimming.
- Prepared students for competitive swimming.
- Helped people who wanted to swim better with less effort.
- Designed and implemented an introduction to swimming class for parents and babies, then refined the material over five years to create the Parent-Tot Plus Course.
- In all my years of swimming, I was the teacher in the program they sent the children with fear.
Successes (Greater Experiences) -
- Have seen 1 year olds make and hold a back-float.
- Have seen 15 month olds go from the bottom of the pool and then swim themselves back to safety.
- Have seen 5-12 year olds dogpaddle away from me with glee, when they were screaming and clutching me a month previous.
- Have seen every student over 15 months climb out of the pool over a 10 inch gain.
- Have seen students with various levels of autism, down syndrome, and other developmental delays, swim farther and faster than I can.
- I have never met a child that could not learn to swim.
- Have seen former student’s compete on elite swim teams and several participate in the State Tournaments.
Greatest Experience -
- To have seen the look on mom, dad and grandparent’s faces when the students performed the aforementioned successes.
- To have seen the child’s reaction when I ask them, “Who was holding you up in the water?” or “Who saved you?” and when they come to the answer and say, “I did”. Then I ask, “Who has the power?” and they answer right away, “I do!”
- Classes are so fun because I’m lucky enough to see these things on a daily bases.
Attended – Arapahoe Community College
University of Colorado at Denver
Mile High Red Cross
- Extensive personal research in: early childhood and brain development, comparative learning philosophies, child psychology, communications and language mechanisms, large and small motor development, sensory development, behavioral and cognitive stages, leadership, self-esteem building.
- Group Leader Qualified = According to the standard set by the Colorado State Department of Human Services
Colorado State Registry of Preschool aged child care providers.
U.S. Army Reserve – 1989-1993 Honorably Discharged – 11 Bravo, C2, E 4 – Corporal
Company B, 3rd Battalion, 87th Infantry Division, 96th ARCOM, 6th Army. Stationed: Denver Federal Center.
~ I truly believe the profession of teacher chose me. ~
I appreciate how valuable your time is and will always do my best to make the most of it.